Working in the UK

Summary of sections:  

  1. Eligibility to work (Answers questions such as: Can I work in the U.K? What about work permits? What are my workers' rights?)
  2. Jobs (includes looking for and training for jobs)
  3. Employment status, relevant tax information and health and safety at work
  4. Benefits (including Universal Credit)
  5. HACL - Education and Careers Hub - Links to our education and career advice page
  6. Other information including helplines e.g. Citizens Advice Bureau, legal help, modern slavery, financial abuse, etc

1. Eligibility to work

Am I eligible to work in the UK? 

You are eligible to work in the UK, and therefore don’t need to obtain a work permit, if any of the following apply:

  • You are a British citizen.

  • You are an European Economic Area (EEA) citizen.

  • You are a Swiss national.

If you’re from the EU/EEA or Switzerland

You will also need to apply for a UK residence card or be able to prove your right to work in the UK as an EU citizen (for example, a valid UK National Insurance number).

For more information related to EU, EEA and Commonwealth citizens and your rights to working in the UK, please visit:        Working Rights in UK

What if I don’t have the right to work in the UK?


If you’re not a British citizen, EEA citizen or Swiss national, you may need to apply for a visa in order to be able to work in the UK.

For a full list of the visas available to you, and to check if you need a UK visa, please visit:  Visas and Immigration

Work Permit

If you’ve already found a job in the UK and been accepted to work, or you have a visa but it does not allow you to work, you may need to obtain a work permit.

For more detailed information about your rights to working in the UK, please visit:  Different work visas in the UK